Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Think About it Thursday 8-19

Think about it Thursday is a little meme of my own that I started last week for kicks and giggles. Every week I'll ask a bookish question, something you'll have to 'think about' a little. Ah, see what I did there? Then you just post your answer on your own blog or in the comments if you'd rather go that route. Be sure to share your link so we can check out your answer.

This week's question is one I've been contemplating lately as I've been trying to encouraging more reading among my own kids.

What is your earliest memory of books or reading? Was it a positive or negative experience?

I have been reading or been read to for as long as I can remember. My elementary school had a ice cream/Popsicle stand every Friday where you could buy treats after school. They also had contests every year and whoever read the most in their grade won free popsicles for the next year. I remember winning practically every year and getting free ice cream every Friday. I even got a trophy one year. Some kids have soccer or dance trophies, I have a reading trophy. I suppose that's a positive experience. :)

So what are your memories of reading?

If you have a suggestion for an interesting question, shoot me an email via the 'contact me' button in the upper right sidebar. Please leave a  name and/or blog addy so I can properly credit you.


3 comments:

Cortney said...

Awesome idea! I had too many cups of coffee too late this evening, so I figured I'd write my post at 2:30 in the morning...that's the fastest I've ever composed a post before. Anyway, great idea and I look forward to reading everyone's.

Liz said...

My favorite part of this post is you are talking about two of your greatest passions - reading and food. :-) It makes total sense to me that they would go hand-in-hand.

I have my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Luna to thank for my ability to read and my mom for providing me with great reading material. Mrs. Luna was a stout, not exactly pleasant or warm woman. She was, however, adamant that I would learn to read and hold my pencil the "correct" way before graduating from her class. I entered her class pretty much illterate. I remember I would have to go out into the hallway with some volunteer and practice my reading. At the time I thought this was quite mean. Now, I'm so grateful! The first "real" book (not picture book) I read was Tells of the Fourth Grade Nothing. I still have this much loved and tattered copy. After that I was hooked. I read whatever my mom gave me. I even remember reading Charolett's Web to my younger sibilings one chapter at a time.

Thanks Rachel for asking such a great question.

Roberta said...

Rachel...this was a lot of fun an so glad to see the "linky". Looking forward to participating in the future. Found you through my niece, Cortney...cool beans ;D

Fondly, Roberta

Related Posts with Thumbnails