Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Book Beginnings

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

Mine this week comes from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.  The first sentence was awfully short so I'm giving you two.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Penguin Classics)

"They're out there. Black boys in white suits up before me to commit sex acts in the hall and get it mopped up before I can catch them."





I like this sentence. It lets you know off the bat what kind of story you're getting into. Clearly, we are not dealing with someone who still has all their marbles.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Something rather sinister about those opening lines. It's been such a long time since I read this book I probably need to do a reread.

Rebecca Chapman said...

Wow, sinister is a great word. THis is a classic that i have always thought of reading but never prioritised - perhaps its time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails