Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Library Goodies

Woman browse books on an unknown library.Image via Wikipedia
Oh public library, how do I love thee? Lots and lots! Especially when you have a lot of the books that I need. Since I started working from the list I've learned to double check the availability of the books I want before heading over.

My library website allows me to ensure whether a book is checked in at my local branch before I get there. I like to make a list of 8-9 books that claim to be checked in before I go and usually only end up walking out with 4-5 of those. I blame it on myself checking the website too many hours before actually driving over to the library and thus allowing someone else the chance to beat me to it.

I learned my lesson today and double checked right before and was totally rewarded. I walked out of there with 7 books.
The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by  Ken Kesey
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Of course, now that I'm looking at this stack, it's quite intimidating. Luckily, the longest book in the pile is 380 pages so hopefully I can get through most of them before my three weeks is up. I do see a handful of renewals in my near future though.

So, I'll be finished with Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres in the next day or two. Let me know which of these should I tackle after that?
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Julie P said...

Oooooh--read The Bell Jar by Plath. It is coming up in my TBR pile!

Shan said...

The only one I have read so far from that list is The Handmaid's Tale, and I enjoyed it.

I love my library as well. My daughter and I go every Tuesday! Though I rarely ended up browsing the stacks because I have so many hold/transfers waiting for me! I really enjoy the days when I can go on my own and just wander around, I can spend so much time there!

Isaac7985 said...

I've read "Beloved" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and I enjoyed the latter much more than the former. "Beloved" is just weird, it's like "The Turn of the Screw" in that it's a ghost-story-or-is-it? kind of a book. Kesey's tale of the struggle in a mental institution between McMurphy and Nurse Ratched is much more entertaining and satisfying. I hope you enjoy all 7, though.
-Isaac
towerofstories.blogspot.com

Kara said...

I've read 5 out of 7 of these, but my method is always to start with the one that's the most different from what I just finished reading. Hard to choose what that would be in this case - they're all pretty different from Corelli's Mandolin!

Teacher/Learner said...

Cuckoo's Nest is simply amazing. Kesey is part of the Beat Generation, so the writing comes across as trippy, but the imagery is so rich.

Related Posts with Thumbnails