Thursday, August 19, 2010

Friday Book Beginnings and Blog Hop

Book Blogger Hop
Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

Mine, this week, comes from Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres.

"Dr. Iannis had enjoyed a satisfactory day in which none of his patients had died or got any worse."

I am a little ambivalent about this particular sentence. It's a little funny, which fits with the character of Dr. Iannis, who is quick witted and often makes me laugh. So, I guess I lean a little more towards liking it than disliking it.

~~~~

The Friday blog hop is hosted by Crazy-for-Books and is a weekly opportunity to find fun new blogs to follow and maybe attract a few new followers of your own.

Every week she asks a new discussion question. This week asks

How many blogs do you follow?

According to Google Reader I follow 115, though I don't actually read every one every day. In the morning I skim through the new posts and check out the ones who catch my interest. I check again in the afternoon or evening.

Happy Hopping!

9 comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

I am not ambivalent at all - I love that opening sentence! It is hilarious and clever. I am a bit biased, I really love this book, and his other books as well. I love the language. It reminds me a lot of Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I really hope you enjoy it, can't wait to see what you think

Tales of Whimsy said...

Poor guy. Great teaser!

Here is my BBF :)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I kind of like it! Now I'm curious about the book....

Here's mine:

(click my name for the link)

Anonymous said...

I have a similar following technique to yours! I check to see which posts catch my fancy.

Happy Book Blog Hop!

Tasha said...

Hi! I'm just stopping by from the hop... I'm currently hosting a few giveaways, so stop by my blog to enter. Have a great weekend! :)

~Book Obsessed

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea for a blog. I like it. I'm rather new to blogging about books. I'm finding that I much prefer blogs that have a more unique focus than simply reviewing books that have been given to them by authors and publishers. There seem to be A LOT of those.

So, I'm glad I found yours.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's a great first line. It reminds me of the hospital scenes from some of John Irving's work ("The World According to Garp" especially). "Corelli's Mandolin" one of the 1001 Books, no? I can't wait to get to it!

Here's a reward for you: the One Lovely Blog award (you can find it here: http://audiblecandy.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-first-blog-award.html) I'm still pretty new to your blog, but it's been truly inspiring to watch you sprint through the list (I say "sprint" because Kingsolver's "Poisonwood Bible" in three days? Lovely) and read your reviews.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi, stopping by for the hop. I am going to follow you because I admire your goal to read 1001 books! Awsome :)

Leslie said...

Hi, I am just stopping by from rhe hop.Your blog caught my eye, 1001 books is a great starter goal. I looked at the beginning sentence of the book I am reading and it was interesting as while I have not finished the book, although I am close it is not fiction. However it is definately stranger then fiction and the first sentence says it all. "The clock read midnight when the hundred-foot wave hit the ship, rising from the North Sea out of the darnkess."
I am a new follower and look forward to your reviews.
Thank you for sharing.
http://www.wrighton-time.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails