Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Pretties (The Uglies)

Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.
-Summary from Goodreads


This book picks up a few weeks after the first book. Tally is pretty and her life involves drinking and partying and not much else. I couldn't stand the pretties. They were just stupid and vapid and irritating, which of course was exactly the point. I did enjoy this book, though not quite as much as the first. 

I think this one suffer from a condition I call 'middle series disease'. I see this happen a lot in trilogies or series where the middle books bring up quite a few more questions without answering many in return. It's a little frustrating but I suppose the point is to string you along so you're forced to pick up the subsequent books. 

I'll admit, I'm having a hard time writing a review for this book without giving anything away so I apologize for this pretty weak review. I was a little frustrated with the ending as it felt quite similar to the ending of the first book with another big cliffhanger. So, I guess I'll move on to the next book and hope I'll have more to talk about after reading that one.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails