Monday, May 2, 2011

Moving: A Rant

Image: Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

So, I had to move this weekend. We planned on packing up the little stuff and moving it by car on Wed night/Thursday/Friday morning and then renting a U-Haul to move the big stuff Friday afternoon. Then Wednesday night we are watching the news and the weather man announces (rather gleefully if you ask me) that it will in fact SNOW on Friday. What the French toast! So, in a last minute decision we decided "Hey, let's just get the trick on Thursday and be done with it before the snow starts." Sure, this sounds like a great idea, right? Yes, except that we were not finished packing up the small things but we decided to just wing it.

So, here we are now on Thursday trying to convince the help we had arranged for Friday to come help us on Thursday instead. Luckily, we have the best most awesome people in our church who came after work to help us in our unorganized move, even when they found out that our new place is on the 3rd story. I now have a list of about 6 men who are getting a plate of cookies and a fresh baked loaf of some tasty bread, though the poor guy who ended up carrying my boxes of books up 3 flights of stairs probably deserves a 3-tier cake instead.

Now we're all moved in and so everything should be peachy, right? Yeah, now comes the fun part. Trying to unpack and find homes for everything, especially when you've lost about 400 sq. feet of space, is incredibly fun. I hate this! When I wanted to take a shower after moving all day, I had to find the bathroom box, the shower curtain and the towels (all in separate boxes for some frustrating reason). When I needed to make my kids dinner (they were sick of pizza and fast food) I had to dig up all my pots and pans. Well, you get the idea. It's finally starting to take shape. My mother came and watched my kids while we moved and help them set up their rooms so at least I don't have to worry about that. My one bright spot in a world full of boxes.

I've decided that hell isn't all pitchforks and fire. No, in hell they force you to move a cluttered 3-4 bedroom house into another house. Then when you finally get unpacked and settled, they make you move again. My hell is place where you are perpetually moving. It's much scarier than any fiery demon with a pitchfork.I'm hoping to be settled in a day or two. Wish me luck, I need it!!!



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails