Thursday, May 26, 2011

Friday Blog Hop: Books to Movies

Book Blogger Hop


The Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Crazy-For-Books and is a place just for book bloggers and readers to connect and share our love of the written word! This weekly BOOK PARTY is an awesome opportunity for book bloggers to connect with other book lovers, make new friends, support each other, and generally just share our love of books! It will also give blog readers a chance to find other book blogs to read!

This week's question is:
"What book-to-movie adaption have you most liked?  Which have you disliked?"

 Oh I LOVE book to movie adaptations because they combine my 2 favorite things of course. I think Harry Potter was pretty well done. They left out a few things but I imagine it's pretty hard to squeeze some of those books into 2 hours. Memoirs of a Geisha is a beautiful movie and the music is amazing. I just finished reading Fight Club and I think the movie is pretty darn close. I saw Water for Elephants a few weeks ago and thought it was a pretty decent adaptation.


As for the bad ones, well, My Sister's Keeper completely changed the ending. FAIL. The Count of Monte Cristo with Jim Caviezel is a good movie on it's own but when compared to the book, not as awesome. They just cut out and changed so much. The Time Traveler's Wife was ok but I was bummed they changed the ending. 


Well, those are the ones that come to mind. I'm excited to hear all your thoughts.


11 comments:

Priya said...

Harry Potter movies don't make it to my favourite 'cause it's not just that they left out parts, I thought they left out all the important parts!! Deathly Hallows was good though! :) I have had the Fight Club book on my TBR list for a while now, I liked the movie!


Here's mine: http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-blogger-hop-2.html

Lauren B said...

They changed too many things for the Harry Potter films to be good adaptations.
I also loved Memoirs of a Geisha and enjoyed The Count of Monte Christo - Richard Harris was an amazing actor.

Unknown said...

I think the Harry Potter movies were done well. I haven't seen the other movies you mention. Have a great weekend!

Bookgirl @ My Book Addiction

Beckie B. said...

I agree with you on The Count of Monte Cristo. I was stunned by the ending.

Stopping by from the hop.

Lucy (The Secret Life of Books) said...

My sisters keeper was shocking!
I was also bummed about the ending in The Time Travellers Wife, but i still enjoyed the movie. I just don't get why they couldn't stick to the correct ending?!

Found you on the Blog Hop http://lily-bookhaven.blogspot.com/

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Completely agree about Count of Monte Cristo-my family hadn't read the book so they were happy but I couldn't believe the HUGE changes made that essentially left it a different film.

Ann said...

"My Sister's Keeper"!!!!! - tell me about it! I couldn't believe the change they made in that one - the book's ending WAS the story! I felt the same with Q&A vs Slumdog Millionaire - they changed that quite significantly too.

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch Memoirs of a Geisha. I hated the book so I didn't bother with the movie.

I have The Time Traveler's Wife, haven't read it yet though. So disappointed they changed the ending in the movie. Why do they do that?!

Howard Sherman said...

Let’s kick off Memorial Day Weekend with some scandal and controversy.

I absolutely loved every minute of the Lord of the Rings films and felt they hit the mark when they brought Tolkien’s masterpiece to the big screen.
(ducking as rotten tomatoes are thrown at me as the torches are lit and the pitchforks raised)

Wait, wait. I can explain! Hop on over to my blog and hear me out – http://www.howardsherman.net

Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
http://www.howardsherman.net

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I've never seen My Sister's Keeper but as I've been hopping, I've been noticing that people haven't been too happy with it.

Ellie said...

I felt a bit meh about Water For Elephants, but probably because I loved the book so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails