Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Biggest Jerks






Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is a fun weekly feature in which we all make book related lists about various topics.

This week is all about the Top Ten Biggest Jerks in Literature.

I had a lot of fun with this as there are far too many jerks out there in world of fiction.

The Catcher in the Rye


10. Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye- Ok, alot of you may disagree with me here but I just could not stand Holden. He's a massive whiny brat and the entire book is him whining and being a huge jerky brat.



9. Dexter Mayhew from One Day- He's just a conceited, arrogant, alcoholic and takes most of his life to get his act together. He's just a jerk to everyone for most of the book.





8. Stanley Kowalski from A Streetcar Named Desire-  He's a crappy husband and an even crappier brother-in-law.  Drunken, abusive, chauvinistic, rapist jerkface just about wraps it up.

7. T-Ray from The Secret Life of Bees- He's a neglectful abusive father. Need I say more?




The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel (P.S.)


6. Nathan Price from The Poisonwood Bible- He's a religious zealot who drags his family across the globe and then tries to convert an entire village by belittling people and being completely close-minded and hateful. He's an awful husband and father and a complete failure of a Christian.



5. Amir from The Kite Runner- This kid betrays his best friend and lets him endure something unspeakable because of difference in class, wealth and station in life. You're right Amir, you were in different classes. Hassan had some and you had none. Tied for worst best friend ever!



4. Fernand from The Count of Monte Cristo- This asshat was jealous of his BFF so he has him imprisoned for treason and then runs off with his girl. WTF man? Tied with Amir for worst BFF.

 


3. Andy Evans (It) from Speak- He's a prick rapist. End of story.



Fall On Your Knees (Oprah's Book Club)


2. James Piper from Fall On Your Knees- Oh this is one screwed up family and it's all because of James. He's sexually attracted to his one daughter, beats the hell out of another and married their mother when she was a whopping 13 years old. We're beyond jerk territory here.

1. Thenardier from Les Miserables- This is a no-brainer. If there were classes available on how to be a worthless human being, Thenardier would teach them. He exploits a single mother, steals from any and everyone (including the dead) and is generally unpleasant.


Ok, who are your favorite jerkfaces?

14 comments:

Willa said...

SO great to see Andy Evans on the list! I wanted to include him on mine but couldn't remember his name.....

Rachel said...

Well, I actually cheated and had to google it. I could only remember him as "It".

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Andy Evans is the biggest jerk of all! Great list.

Bibliophile said...

Holden Caulfield was on my list as well, and I'm sure he will appear on other lists as well.

I also considered Stanley, but decided he was somewhere on my top 20 list.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

So many bad guys in the old Oprah books. I wonder why that is....

Here's my list of Top Ten Jerks in Literature. I hope you will stop by. I'd also love to have you enter my giveaway for a new book Divergent this month!

Anonymous said...

Yes on Holden Caufield! The whole 'thing' of that book just passed me by, I just found it a tale of a whiny, irritating, selfish teenager!

Anonymous said...

Thenardier! Great Top Ten Jerk! You've got a good list here!

Birdie said...

Definitely Holden Caufield! I didn't even think of him, but he is a bit of a git, isn't he? I haven't read most of the other books you've mentioned--I'll have to check them out.

Priya said...

I absolutely loathed Holden :-/ Maybe the whole book just wasn't my type!
Amir's a great choice too!!
Nice list!

Here's mine: http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-ten-tuesday-is-original.html

Jenny said...

Well, some of these books I've never even read. Maybe that's why I had a hard time with my list.
http://alternatereadality.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-ten-tuesday.html

Unknown said...

What a great list, I completely forgot about The Poisonwood Bible!

Lisa said...

Great list. I totally agree with 8, 7, 5***, 3, and 1 (the others I haven't read).

Everytime I hear of Amir I cringe. I didn't like him at all. Even at the end I couldn't forgive him.

Anonymous said...

Holden Caulfield! He is a total whiny git. He is a great choice! Nathan Price too, I could barely stand that book because of him.

Anonymous said...

T-Ray and Andy are total d-bags! Great picks!

New follower :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails