Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is a fun weekly feature in which we all make book related lists about various topics.
This week is all about the Top Ten Biggest Jerks in Literature.
I had a lot of fun with this as there are far too many jerks out there in world of fiction.
10. Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye- Ok, alot of you may disagree with me here but I just could not stand Holden. He's a massive whiny brat and the entire book is him whining and being a huge jerky brat.
9. Dexter Mayhew from One Day- He's just a conceited, arrogant, alcoholic and takes most of his life to get his act together. He's just a jerk to everyone for most of the book.
8. Stanley Kowalski from A Streetcar Named Desire- He's a crappy husband and an even crappier brother-in-law. Drunken, abusive, chauvinistic, rapist jerkface just about wraps it up.
The Secret Life of Bees- He's a neglectful abusive father. Need I say more?
6. Nathan Price from The Poisonwood Bible- He's a religious zealot who drags his family across the globe and then tries to convert an entire village by belittling people and being completely close-minded and hateful. He's an awful husband and father and a complete failure of a Christian.
5. Amir from The Kite Runner- This kid betrays his best friend and lets him endure something unspeakable because of difference in class, wealth and station in life. You're right Amir, you were in different classes. Hassan had some and you had none. Tied for worst best friend ever!
4. Fernand from The Count of Monte Cristo- This asshat was jealous of his BFF so he has him imprisoned for treason and then runs off with his girl. WTF man? Tied with Amir for worst BFF.
3. Andy Evans (It) from Speak- He's a prick rapist. End of story.
2. James Piper from Fall On Your Knees- Oh this is one screwed up family and it's all because of James. He's sexually attracted to his one daughter, beats the hell out of another and married their mother when she was a whopping 13 years old. We're beyond jerk territory here.
Les Miserables- This is a no-brainer. If there were classes available on how to be a worthless human being, Thenardier would teach them. He exploits a single mother, steals from any and everyone (including the dead) and is generally unpleasant.
Ok, who are your favorite jerkfaces?