Monday, July 5, 2010

Les Miserables- Book One- Fantine

Les Miserables Volume One: FantineI finished Book One of Les Miserables this week. The first book is entitled "Fantine". Being the first book, we were introduced to several characters in this section. First, we meet Jean Valjean, a criminal who has just spent 19 years in prison who stealing a loaf of bread to feed his sister's children and himself. Javert, the policeman, who is after Jean Valjean and is after justice. Fantine, a young woman who is taken advantage of and then abandoned and her daughter Cosette. As the story goes on we meet these four and get their back stories and then watch as those stories slowly start to intertwine.

So far I am really enjoying it. It was a little slow to start off but once I got to know everyone and became invested in them, I started to pick up the pace. You get to really know each character and though they are all flawed, it's a tragic sort of flaw that just tugs at your heart. Fantine and Cosette's story really got to me and as a mother myself, I found it heartbreaking. Though, I think if you don't, there is probably something wrong with you. I am looking forward to Book Two: Cosette but I fear that her story may get worse before it gets any better.





Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Julie P said...

You read the first book pretty quickly. I am impressed!

Pat Tillett said...

I couldn't get past the beginning. Maybe I'll give it another go, based on what you posted...

Jamie said...

I keep starting this and abandoning it..even though I have heard great things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails