Sunday, July 18, 2010

#23 Les Miserables

Les Miserables Volume Five: Jean ValjeanAlright, so I am totally done with Les Miserables now. I finished much faster than I anticipated but I just couldn’t put it down. The last book had a lot of action as the students of Paris built a barricade and revolted. Our boy, Marius, finds himself in the middle of the fray which is not going in their favor. Jean Valjean arrives and helps him out a bit and manages to help out a few other citizens while he’s there because, well, that’s just the way he rolls. While trying to help Marius, Jean Valjean has a long coming chit chat with the pesky Javert and attempt to work out some of their issues. All the while Cosette sits by and waits.

The book ends well for some and not so well for others which is about all I’m going to say. I loved it and will probably end up re-reading a few times. However I’ve been reading in e-book format on my laptop, which is less than pleasant and I won’t be doing that again. This is definitely a book I want to own so I’ll be going out and buying a REAL copy (I really dislike the term ‘dead tree book’ it’s so negative). I also think I’ll go for the abridged version and do without Hugo’s rambling.  I don’t need the history lesson on France every time I want to read it. I would suggest to anyone thinking about giving it a read to just go for it. The first few chapters seem a little slow but it’s totally worth it to stick it out. At least I thought so.

Les MiserablesI did finally watch the movie last night after I finished and it was pretty good. They took liberties, changed things and left stuff out but I guess that’s to be expected.  I hate when people say “I don’t need to read the book, I can just watch the movie”. Even the best movie adaptation is just a portion of the whole story. Sometimes it’s barely a glimpse of the goodness that lies within the book. I love movies as much as the next person but it’s good to go straight to the source. Movies are an enhancement, not a replacement for reading.




If you’ve missed them my thoughts on the first four sections of the book are here
Book One-Fantine
Book Two- Cosette
Book Three- Marius
Book Four- The Epic on the Rue Saint-Denis

4 comments:

Roof Beam Reader said...

Such a great book. And great review(s)! Thanks. :)

Kate said...

Congratulations! That's a chunkster if I've ever seen one! I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Hilde said...

Yay, congrats on finishing! It really is a great book, I'm glad you liked it.

Jeanie said...

It is good t expand our mind and our reading selections. It increases our vocabulary and helps us to connect with other people. That said, Moby Dick is a monsterous book. Congratulations on reading it.
Side Note: I found you on Book Blogs.

Jeanie
Visit us at Twice is Nice Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails