Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help
I totally devoured this book. It took me a chapter or two to really get into the story but I quickly became very attached to the three main characters.

I found when reading this book, it made me mad more than anything. I will never understand what makes people think they have the right to treat other people like trash, especially the people who take care of and love your own children. As a mother I just don't know how you feel anything but gratitude for anyone who cares for your child as well or better than yourself.

Through most of the book I wanted to reach through the pages and slap someone, usually Hilly. I was proud of Skeeter, Aibileen and Hilly for being brave enough to basically call out these women on their behavior. If you feel you can treat another human that way, I think you deserve to have all your skeletons laid out for public consumption. I only wish they could have called them out by name.

Of course, once they actually got started on the book, I was more scared than anything. I found myself plagued with actual worry for these women. I couldn't put the book down until I knew they were all going to be ok.

I think it was a great book and one that is important for people to read to remind them that everyone out there is a real person with real feelings and despite our differences, we all deserve to be treated with respect.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails