Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)I read this awhile back, during my hiatus so please bear with me as I try to write this from memory.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. This book begins shortly after Katniss and Peeta both manage to escape the Hunger Games alive. However, life is not the same. Peeta is angry at Katniss and Gale is acting very coolly towards her. Then there are the rumblings that Katniss's display at the Games has helped to spur on a rebellion against the capitol. Katniss is told that she must convince everyone of her love for Peeta during their Victory Tour or face consequences.

I actually really enjoyed this book, almost as much as The Hunger Games. I liked that Katniss is just a girl doing the best she can with the situation she's been thrust into. She's reluctantly become a hero, a role model of sorts and she's been all but forced into a relationship that she may or may not have chosen for herself. Now she's holding several lives in her hands all while being dressed up and paraded about. I couldn't imagine being under the immense pressure that Katniss is forced to deal with. Yes, she was under pressure in The Hunger Games but the only life at risk there was her own. I believe it's easy to deal with the possible loss of your own life verses being responsible for the lives of those you love.

I was totally pulled in to this book. I probably finished it in a day or two. Once the action ramped up, I couldn't put it down.

1 comment:

Carin Siegfried said...

I read this last week (my review will post Saturday) and I loved it too! Thought I had actually found a copy of Mockingjay not checked out at the library but I was super-bummed to find out it was on hold (I volunteer there and was actually pulling books for the holds. Saw the book and then checked my list, sigh.) Will have to wait to borrow it from a friend.

Related Posts with Thumbnails