Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday Rewind: Top Ten Book Quotes





Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is having a rewind week in which we are given the opportunity to go back and revisit a previous top ten list that we may not have had a chance to do. Since I am fairly new to this meme, I had a lot to choose from. In the end I decided to go with

Oh, the Places You'll Go!Top Ten Book Quotes 

1. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." -Dr. Seuss (Oh The Places You'll Go)
The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel (P.S.)


2. "Every life is different because you passed this way and 
 touched history..." -Barbara Kingsolver (The Poisonwood Bible)




Jane Eyre (Movie Tie-in Edition) 
3. "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will." -Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre)


The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin & Hobbes) (v. 1, 2, 3) 
4. "Reality continues to ruin my life." -Bill Watterson (The Complete Calvin and Hobbes)


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2) 
5. "It is our choices, Harry, that show us who we truly are, far more than our abilities." -J.K Rowling (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass 
6. "I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then." -Lewis Carroll (Alice's adventures in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass)


The Count of Monte Cristo - Latest Edition 2011
 
7. "There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It is necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.....the sum of all human wisdom will be contained in these two words: Wait and Hope." -Alexandre Dumas (The Count of Monte Cristo)
All's Well that Ends Well (Oxford World's Classics)
8. "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none." -William Shakespeare (All's Well That Ends Well)



Corelli's Mandolin: A Novel 
9. "Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides.  And when it subsides, you have to make a decision.  You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.  Because this is what love is.  Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body.  No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths.  That is just being "in love", which any fool can do.  Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident." -Louis de Bernieres (Corelli's Mandolin)

Peter Pan (100th Anniversary Edition) 
10. "To love would be an awfully big adventure." -J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)




Happy Tuesday everyone. Hope you all had as much fun with this rewind as I did!



2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It's fun to see the variety of different rewind choices others made. Great quotes. Thank you!

Here's my post for Top Ten Tuesday, a list of the books that most intimidate me.

And I'll be part of the Easter Eggstravaganza Blog Hop Giveaway that begins tomorrow. I hope you will stop by my blog and enter my giveaways to try to win some great prizes.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Great list. This took a lot of work to compile. I love your Calvin and Hobbes quote. I feel like that everyday *sigh*.

Related Posts with Thumbnails