Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Musings

This is my first Monday taking part in Monday Musings hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. It sounds like fun so I thought I would give it a go this week. 



This week's musing is...



What do you think of books that receive a lot of hype? (think of the “Twilight” saga, or “Harry Potter”, or “The Da Vinci Code”). Do you read them? Why, or why not?

I do read a lot of the books that receive a lot of hype, usually because my mother recommends them.  I didn't start Harry Potter until after seeing the first movie at my moms house and having her tell me how much better the books are. Then I was hooked!

With Twilight I was told that I should read it by my mom and a friend of mine. However I ignored that for a long time because both my mom and friend read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy books which are cool but not usually my cup of tea. I was staying with my mother in law awhile back and her friend's teenage daughter left her a copy of Twilight and urged her to read it. She didn't but I was bored one day and picked it up. I think I finished it within a day or two, only a few months before the movie came out. So I admit that I did get sucked into that one. It's not a classic worthy, fantastic example of literature but it was an enjoyable story. Sort of like watching a cheesy chick flick. I's a popcorn novel. 

I don't fall always fall into the hype though. In fact I'm dreadfully uncool and usually pick up the hyped books long after the hype dies down. That's just me though, always late for the party.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails