Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak

The Book Thief
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist- books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.
With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.
-Synopsis from Goodreads



My Thoughts

I adored this book. I don't know why it has taken me so long to pick it up. Narrated by Death, The Book Thief is told in a fresh, unique perspective and the writing is devastatingly beautiful and flowing. It mingles humor and lighthearted moments with ones of complete sorrow and pain and it does so effortlessly.

A word of caution, this book is not sunshine and roses in the end. If you're looking for a happily ever after, this is not going to be it. (Though what Holocaust/WWII themed book ever is?) However, it will cause you to fall in love with each and every character and then tug on your heart over and over again.  I probably should have waited a day or two to write this review because all I am capable of doing in this moment is gushing but what can I say? I'll probably be gushing for weeks. All I can say is, if you haven't picked it up yet, you should. End of story. 


7 comments:

Whitney said...

I think I was still gushing about The Book Thief weeks later as well. It is such a captivating book. Great review!

Jules said...

I adored this book too! :D

Ann said...

Am so glad you enjoyed The Book Thief, but then I think it's one of those books that you can't help but enjoy - if enjoy is the right word. I read it a few years ago and still continue to gush over it. A truly beautiful story that needs to be read by EVERYONE!

Debbie Rodgers said...

I so agree! It may sound dark to have Death as a narrator but that does allow for humor, in an albeit 'black' way. Great book.

Amy said...

I've heard so many good things about this book! Great review, and I'll be reading this one soon.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I have this book and I've been meaning to read it. I just get so distracted.

Rachel said...

I read this a year ago and I'm still gushing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails