Monday, September 19, 2011

Review: Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Cold Kiss
When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
-Synopsis from Goodreads

So Wren is a witch who knows nothing about being a witch because her mother won't talk to her about it. All of the women have the power but it's swept under the rug and no one talks about it. It's clear that Wren has never seen Practical Magic because when her boyfriend dies, she figures it's ok to bring him back from the dead. Listen up people, this always ends badly.

I did feel for Wren. I understand she was heart-broken and desperate to see her boyfriend Danny again. I get it. I've had people close to me die and I know what that feels like. But, honestly, what did she expect to happen afterwards? He can't go home, she can't take him to her house, he can't be seen by anyone. So what are you going to do?

My Boyfriend's BackIt was a sweet little story about lost love and all that but mostly I felt like I was watching a cheesy 80's/90's movie. Oh wait, that's been done. I don't know. Maybe I just don't get the appeal of the zombie boyfriend. Aren't zombies supposed be, like, gross?

I also felt that the new love interest was just a little bland. The whole thing happens too quick and it feels a little strained. Of course, he's trying to help her with her undead previous boyfriend so I imagine that will put a little strain on the relationship. I just think if you're so in love with someone that you're willing to bring them back from the dead, you probably won't be quick to lock lips with the new boy just because he has a pulse.

So, overall, it was alright. It was entertaining but I wasn't head over heels for it.

*Disclaimer- I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails